The Damsel in Distress...

As big of a geek as I am, one of the things I tap into a lot is the realm of Video Games. It's easy to see when you play enough titles that a lot of game elements are reused and rehashed over and over. It's not only Hollywood who seems to have run out of new ideas for storytelling... but video gaming had followed a similar pattern. A lot of the ones I've come across lately follow 2 patterns...

1) You are the ONE savior who must fight incredible odds to save the organisation/land/country/world/plane of existence.

2) Your loved one has been kidnapped/killed/etc and you must then go on adventure to either save him/her or seek revenge... or both.

Anita Sarkeesian from Feminist Frequency (whom many remember as getting a lot of backlash for offering her views on women in society) has started a new Youtube series about the 2nd of these storytelling motivations. In particular she talks about how women are often victims and objects solely to motivate the protagonist into performing the tasks of the game.

She has the first 2 parts up already...





with a 3rd in the works.

I thought I had avoided most titles like this, but she cited one that I enjoy very much... Dishonored as one in the 2nd video. Now that I think about it, it is sort of clique, but I still like the game.

0 Responses